|Shocking Facts About
The Connections Between
Cancer and Chemical Cleaning Products
Studies show that women who work in the home have a 54% greater risk of getting cancer than those who work outside the home.
The Cause: Toxic household chemicals!
Since 1950 learning disabilities and hyper activity in children have increased 500%. Since brain functions are at least in part a Neuro chemical process, physiological problems can be a direct result of a chemical imbalance in the brain brought on by the constant exposure to toxins and poisons that are common in the home, school and work environments by the more than 70,000 chemicals in use. The answer is not Band-Aid drugs like Ritalin, but to prevent the cause at its source and remove the toxins wherever possible.
- Dr. Steven Edelson, Atlanta Center for Environmental Medicine
What Is Toxicity?
There are approximately 70,000 different chemicals that have been identified as toxic. Chemicals cause a toxic effect at concentrations that change the "normal state" of any life form, including cells and other organisms. There are three important classifications to be aware of when understanding toxic effects. The first is chemicals that have no toxic effects on you as long as the amount of the chemical you are exposed to is small enough. The second is an amount at which the effects can be reversible, and the third is an amount where the exposure to the chemical can have permanent consequences, such as cancer, even death. In order to make this clear lets look at some examples of toxic non-cleaning, chemicals that many of us are exposed to regularly; caffeine, tobacco, and alcohol.
When the the average person consumes any of these chemicals they experience a "high" effect. But your own individual response can be quite different from someone else's. One person may be able to drink 5 cups of coffee without visible effects, while another person might get the shakes after 2 cups of coffee. You may be visibly unaffected by one glass of wine where another person might get rather "tipsy".
This is an example of how the dose and response varies from one person to the next. At some point, each of these chemicals can have a much more serious effect on the individual.
At extremely high doses, (much higher than the average person can consume on a regular basis), caffeine can be a mutagen (capable of making changes at the cellular level), a potential teratogen (capable of affecting the fetus) and a probable carcinogen as well. At high doses, alcohol can cause birth defects, brain damage, coma, and death. These are examples of toxic chemicals that, as a society, some have evaluated the benefit versus the risk, and have made a conscious decision to continue their exposure to these toxic chemicals, despite the known risks. Now lets examine the effects of household products.
The Biggest Mistakes People Make When Cleaning That Can Make You Sick... Even Cost You Your Life!
Not knowing the effects of the chemicals you use can cause tragic results. Household cleaning products are definitely an area where we can exercise some choice over the degree of toxicity we expose ourselves and our families to.
Some products are poisonous when swallowed; some can cause dizziness, headache, and nausea when used in an unventilated area (such as a bathroom); and some can produce toxic by-products when mixed with other cleaning products. Countless people are injured through mixing chemicals that together cause high levels of toxicity.
Some products cause diseases, like cancer, simply from long term, repeated exposure. Chlorine, for example, is the number one cause of breast cancer and it's in most brand name cleaners, including dishwashing products. It is inevitable that chlorine residues are left on your dishes and can wind up in your body.
In fact, dishwashing liquids are labeled "harmful if swallowed" because most of them contain liver poisoning chemicals and toxic metabolic stimulants. With these dangers well documented, the manufacturers still spend millions of dollars per year to convince you that you need these products in your home.
How Can You Know What Is Safe?
Some physicians acknowledge a medical disorder that is triggered by exposures to chemicals in the environment. Low levels of everyday chemicals such as those found in cosmetics, soaps, and newspaper inks can trigger physical reactions in patients.
These patients report a range of symptoms that often include headaches, rashes, asthma, depression, muscle and joint aches, fatigue, memory loss, and confusion but they can't always tell you what is causing it. The reason for this is, over 80% of the common household products you use have never been tested for acute effects.
This is because it requires over a quarter of a million dollars and at least two years of testing to determine the effects of a particular chemical. For the products that do offer data, you can't be sure that it's accurate (look how long the tobacco industry has falsified information to the public).
Here are some examples of toxic products: Oven cleaners contain lye and ammonia which eat the skin, they produce toxic fumes and those fumes are reactivated the next time you use your oven. Formaldehyde is in nearly all cleaning products, such as laundry soap, shampoo and even toothpaste!
How To Reduce Your Risk Of Cancer And Other Health Problems By Eliminating Toxic Household Chemicals
In the past, for a product such as disinfectant to do its job required it to have some toxic properties. You must protect yourself when using chemicals. This means using rubber gloves, proper ventilation and the understanding of what the specific chemicals in the products are and their effects.
The trouble with this is it can be overwhelming trying to research the effects of every chemical or cleaning agent you currently use. Even if you have the desire to do that kind of research, who has the time? To complicate it even further, this can be a difficult and frustrating task, especially when you can't find thorough data! Fortunately there are new alternatives emerging that remove your risk levels completely, and they are so simple to use.
Advances in cleaning technology have made it possible to replace the dangerous toxic hazards you may have unknowingly been exposing yourself and your family to, with safer, faster and amazingly effective new methods of cleaning. These products are environmentally friendly, water-based concepts that represent the housecleaning of tomorrow, and will in due course replace traditional outdated cleaning methods. It reduces the consumption of cleaning chemicals by up to 90% which preserves our environment.
The average home can spend over $700.00 each year on toxic cleaning chemicals.